by Simone Cotterill
We’re almost three weeks into October and I have been blown away by the participants in our #OctoberOutdoors campaign.
The dedication from Sierra Club BC supporters to share their experiences and ask friends and family to support their efforts to get outside every day in October has been incredible.
If you’re one of those participants but, like me, you haven’t met your goal yet (or you still haven’t signed up yet!), don’t worry!
There is still time to enjoy nature’s beauty while calling on your community to pledge their support for defending BC’s spectacular natural world.
I look outside on this rainy, grey day and I think… sometimes it’s not easy to be outside. It doesn’t always come naturally to step out of our comfortable, cozy zone. But that’s often where the growth and unexpected learning happens.
There are twelve days left to get outside and reach your personal goal for #OctoberOutdoors. Here are twelve ideas of fun things you can do:
- Collect leaves and make a fall art project or table centerpiece.
- Visit the beach or the lake and find a ‘sit spot’ where you can reflect.
- Look up a waterfall near you and set out to find it.
- Share a photo or video of your favorite outdoor moment so far.
- Visit a regional, provincial or national park to enjoy the fall colours.
- Put on your rainboots and jump in puddles.
- Check out your local pumpkin patch… and maybe a corn maze!
- It’s mushroom season – take a walk to explore the colourful fungi popping up.
- Visit your local wildlife sanctuary and learn about the birds in your area.
- It’s whale season – go whale watching if you’re on the coast and say hello to the resident orcas!
- Visit a local river to see if the salmon are spawning yet.
- Get on your bike – cooler fall days are the perfect temperature for a ride.
Make sure to share on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with the hashtag #OctoberOutdoors! And don’t forget – everyone who raises at least $350 gets a beautiful Sierra Club BC T-shirt.
As we walk, cycle, run, meditate, or play outside, my hope is that you won’t see October as signifying the end of a happy summer season, but rather as holding the potential to water you as a human being. Wrap up warm and look forward to a brand new season!
Good luck to you, and thank you for standing with Sierra Club BC. Best of luck in reaching your goal!